Toyota is one of the world’s largest automotive manufacturers, producing more than 10 million cars every year.
Kiichiro Toyoda founded Toyota in 1937 and the company is currently headquartered at Toyota City, Aichi, Japan. It is also largest Japanese company by marketcap & revenue.
Due to the company’s sheer size often people wonder, who currently owns Toyota?
Akio Toyoda is the current President of Toyota Motor Corporation and is the grandson of Kiichiro Toyoda, the founder of the company.
Net worth of Akio Toyoda is $1 billion and he does owns almost 4,752,985 shares of Toyota, which translates to less than 0.1% of total shares.
According to Japan Times, Toyoda received ¥1.4 billion or $10.3 million compensation in 2019.
Takeshi Uchiyamada is the chairman of the company and Shigeru Hayakawa vice chairman.
Tetsuo Ogawa is the CEO of Toyota North America region.
Toyota is a publically listed company and it is owned by its shareholders.
In Japan, corporate structures are often complex with lots of cross ownership. Same is the case with Toyota.
Top Shareholders of Toyota
Toyota Industries, another company inside Toyota group cross owns largest 8.28% of the company.
Subaru cross owns 3.17% of the Toyota.
Denso also cross owns 3.12% of Toyota.
Mazda cross owns 0.25% of Toyota.
Suzuki also cross owns 0.2% stake in Toyota
Toyota Motor Corporation – Facts & Figures
- Toyota has numerous subsidiaries including Denso & Subaru.
- Toyota Corolla is all time world’s best selling car, with more than 50 million models sold since its inception in 1966.
- Toyota is a market leader in hybrid vehicle technology, it has a portfolio of more tha 40 hybrid vehicles.
- While major automakers are focusing on purely electric vehicles, toyota is leaned towards hydrogen fuel cell tech.
- Outside Japan, US is Toyota’s larget car market.
- Net worth of Toyota is $215 billion.