Jeff Bezos owns The Washington Post through Nash Holdings. On 5 August, 2013 Bezos aquired The Washington Post for $250 million in cash.
Shortly, after The Post aquisition, Bezos appointed Fred Ryan as the newspaper’s CEO. Fred Ryan was earlier founder & CEO of Politico.
The Washington Post Ownership History
In it’s 145 years history, The Washington Post has changed hands at least 11 times.
- In 1877, Stilson Hutchins founded The Washington Post.
- In 1889, Stilson Hutchins sold the newspaper to Frank Hatton & Beriah Wilkins, a former Democratic congressman from Ohio.
- In 1894, Wilkins purchased Hatton’s stake in the newspaper.
- In 1905, after running the newspaper for 2 years, Wilkins children sold the newspaper to John Roll McLean, the owner of Cincinnati Enquirer.
- In 1916, Edward ‘Ned’ McLean successfully fought for control of The Washington Post and remained it’s owner from 1916 to 1933.
- In 1933, financier Eugene Meyer purchased the newspaper at auction for $825,000. He has earlier offered $5 million but was rejected by Edward in 1929.
- In 1946, Meyer’s son-in-law Philip Graham took over the newspaper & remained it’s co-owner until his death by suicide in 1963.
- In 1963, after her husband’s death, Katharine Graham took control of the company and remained in that position until 1979. In this period The Washington Post Company went public.
- In 1979, Katharine’s son, Donald E. Graham succeeded as the owner of The Washington Post.
- In 2013, Jeff Bezos, the billionaire founder of technology company Amazon, purchased The Washington Post for $250 million. Since, then he is the owner of the newspaper.
The Washington Post Leadership Team
|CEO||Fred Ryan Jr.|
|Executive Editor||Sally Buzbee|
|Production||James Colley Jr.|
|Human Resources||Wayne Connell|
|Revenue Strategy||Kate Davey|
|Audience & Analytics||Elizabeth Diaz|
|Editor, Digital||Kat Mulder|
|Distribution||Gregg J. Fernandes|
|General Counsel & Labor||John Kennedy|
|President, Arc XP||Miki King|
Washington Post Subscription Rates 2022
|Sunday Newspaper + Premium Digital||$99/year|
+ Premium Digital
|Academic Subscription (K-12 teachers, college students, faculty & staff)||$1 every 4 weeks|
The Washington Post FAQs
Who founded The Washington Post?
Stilson Hutchins was the founder and first owner of The Washington Post.
Who is the owner of The Washington Post?
Since 2013, Jeff Bezos is the owner of The Washington Post.
Who is the editor-in-chief of The Washington Post?
Sally Buzbee is the editor in chief of The Washington Post since June 1, 2021. Her contact email address is [email protected]
What is the postal address of The Washington Post?
The Washington Post is headquartered at 1301 K Street NW, Washington, D.C., U.S., 20071.
Is Washington Post named after George Washington?
No, The Washington Post is not named after George Washington.
What is Washington Post Subscription Phone Number?
1-800-477-4679 is The Washington Subscription Help line number.