The New York Times (The NYT) is owned by The New York Times Company, which itself is controlled by A.G. Sulzberger.
A.G. Sulzberger succeded his father Arthur Ochs “Punch” Sulzberger Jr. as the company’s chairman in 2018 and the newspaper’s publisher in 2021.
The NY Times Ownership History
In its over 170 year history, The NY Times has changed ownership at least 11 times.
- In 1851, the NY Times was founded by Henry Jarvis Raymond and George Jones in New York City. Henry Raymond was an influential republican politician & George Jones was an ex-banker. The newspaper was called The New-York Daily Times at the time.
- In 1869, Raymond passed away & Jones became the sole publisher of the newspaper.
- In 1891, Jones also passed away and the newspaper was put up for sale.
- In 1903, Some of NYT’s editors, including editor-in-chief Charles Miller collectively raised $1 million & bought the newspaper.
- In 1896, the newspaper faced severe financial crisis, and majority stake was sold to Adolf Ochs, the publisher of Chattanooga Times for $75,000.
- In 1935, Ochs passed away, his son-in-law Arthur Hays Sulzberger took control of the newspaper.
- In 1961, Arthur’s son-in-law Oliver Dryfoos succeded him as the controller & publisher of the newspaper.
- In 1963, Dryfoos passed away only after two years at helm, his brother-in-law Arthur Ochs “Punch” Sulzberger succeded him and remained the owner until 1992.
- In 1992, Arthur’s son Arthur Ochs “Punch” Sulzberger Jr. succeded his father, and remained the chairman of The NY Times until 2020 & its publisher until 2018.
- In 2018, A.G. Sulzberger, son of Arthur Jr. succeded him as chairman of the company and in 2021, he also became the publisher of the newspaper. Since, then A.G. Sulzberger is the owner & controller of The NY Times.
The NY Times Board of Directors
- A.G. Sulzberger (Chairman)
- Amanpal S. Bhutani (CEO, GoDaddy)
- Manuel Bronstein (CPO, Roblox)
- Beth Brooke (Vice Chair Public Policy, EY)
- Rachel Glaser (CFO, Etsy)
- Arthur Golden (Author)
- Hays N. Golden (Ex-VP, AIG)
- Meredith Kopit Levien (President & CEO, The New York Times Company)
- Brian P. McAndrews (Ex-President & CEO Pandora Media)
- David Perpich (Publisher, The Athletic & Wirecutter)
- John W. Rogers, Jr. (Founder & CEO Ariel Investments)
- Doreen Toben (Ex-CFO, Verizon)
- Rebecca Van Dyck (COO, Reality Labs, Meta)
The NYT FAQs
Who is the owner of The NY Times?
Since 2018, A.G. Sulzberger is the owner & publisher of The New York Times.
Is New York Times Democratic or Republican?
Since, 1956 Presidential election of Dwight D. Eisenhower, The NYT has not endorsed any Republican presidential candidate to date. While it did endorsed every Democratic Presidential candidate in the same period.
Who is the CEO of The NY Times?
Since July, 2020, Meredith Kopit Levien is the president & CEO of The New York Times Company.
Who is the editor of The NY Times?
Joe Kahn is the executive editor of The NY Times, since June, 2022. Joe Kahn contact email address can be found here on NYT official website.
How much is The NY Times worth?
As of 30 July, 2022, the net worth of The NY Times stands at $5.35 billion.