Who Owns Tencent?

Tencent is one of the world’s most valuable companies and largest by revenue. It is one of only two chinese companies ever to cross $500 billion valuation mark, the other being Alibaba.

Tencent owns a plethora of businesses like super app WeChat, gaming company Supercell and Riot games, the publisher of League of Legends video game.

Tencent total userbase exceeds 1 billion and then people often wonder, Who owns Tencent?

Well, Tencent is a publically listed company, so technically shareholders own the company. Entities or individuals who own more shares, own more of the company.

Largest Shareholders of Tencent

Ma Huateng

Ma Huateng

Founder, CEO of Tencent

Ma Huateng is the founder and current CEO of Tencent. He owns largest individual shares in the company, with 8.42% of shares. Due to this shareholding, he is among the richest chinese people.

South African conglomerate Naspers own about 30.86% shares in the company through the subsidiary Prosus. This investment to this date, regarded as one of the best investment ever done. Naspers is the largest owners of Tencent and controlling shareholder as well.

What gaming companies does Tencent owns?

Tencent is the world’s largest gaming company by revenue and they also own and publish a lot of popular games.

  • Chinese Tencent owns Supercell, the publisher of Clash of Clans, Clash Royale and Brawl Stars. They aquired the company in 2016 at a valuation of $10 billion.
  • Chinese Tencent owns Riot games, the publisher of popular games League of Legends and Valorant. They aquired the company in 2011, with $400 million for 93% majority stake. Later they aquired the rest 7% for undisclosed amount in 2015.
  • Chinese Tencent owns FatShark, the publisher of games War of the Roses and Warhammer. They aquired the company in January, 2021.
  • Chinese Tencent owns 40% stakes in Epic games, the publisher of popular video game Fortnite.
  • Chinese Tencent owns 20% shares in Sea Limited, the publisher of popular mobile video game Garena Free Fire.
  • Chinese Tencent owns 13.6% stakes in Krafton, the publisher of popular video game PUBG Battlegrounds.
  • Before Activision Blizzard aquisition by Microsoft, Chinese Tencent used to own 5% minority shates in Activision Blizzard.