Categories
News

What is Xylitol? McDonald’s ice cream rumored to contain toxic substance

McDonald’s ice cream is said to contain Xylitol, a sugar alcohol that humans can consume but is highly harmful to dogs.

McDonald’s ice cream is said to contain Xylitol, a sugar alcohol that humans can consume but is highly harmful to dogs. Alarms were raised in April after a Facebook post went viral.

McDonald’s, which has already been under fire for its unhealthy eating options and low-cost junk food, is once again in the spotlight for the wrong reasons. But the most important thing to remember about this information is that it is merely a rumour at this point, with no proof of its existence.

What is the rumored McDonald’s ice cream ingredient?

Xylitol is a sugar alcohol that is utilised as a sugar substitute in culinary goods and even some dentistry products, according to Healthline. It has 40% fewer calories than sugar, making it a common ingredient in low-sugar and diabetic-friendly foods. Xylitol can be found in everything from low-sugar chewing gum to sweets and mint.

Another benefit of xylitol is that it aids with dental hygiene. Sugar is a common source of glucose for the oral bacteria that cause tooth decay. Tooth decay is less likely when xylitol is used instead of sugar. However, despite all of xylitol’s benefits for humans, there remains a major drawback.

Xylitol is thought to be particularly dangerous to dogs. When dogs eat xylitol, their bodies create insulin, mistaking it for glucose. They can get hypoglycemia and low blood sugar, or even death, if their bodily cells take too much glucose from their bloodstream.

This is one of the main reasons xylitol rumors have caused such a reaction. The idea that the famous company might be using a harmful product for dogs is not at all acceptable.

Several posts on Facebook urged people not to feed the fast-food franchise’s ice cream to their pets. While McDonald’s has not commented on these rumors, what turn this story will take now remains to be seen.