Taco Bell specializes in Mexican food products including various types of tacos, quesadillas, burritos, nachos & other items. The chain opened its first outlet in 1962 in Downey, California.
Total Restaurants: 7,791
Total Sales: $13.28 billion
Total Revenue: $2.23 billion
- Taco Bell has total 7,791 restaurants across 32 countries as of Dec. 2021, out of which 10% are International.
- Taco Bell has total system wide sales of $13.28 billion in the year ended December, 2021.
- Out of total stores 94% of stores are franchised & they typically pay 4-6% of their total sales to the company.
- Yum Brands generated total $2.23 billion in revenues from Taco Bell & $758 million in operating profit.
Taco Bell Timeline
- Taco Bell was was founded by Glenn Bell who opened a hot dog stand in San Bernadino, California in 1948.
- It was in 1951, Glenn opened the first stand which sold hard shelled tacos.
- In 1962, first Taco Bell was opened in Downey, California.
- In 1964, first Taco Bell franchised store was opened in Torrance, California.
- In 1975, Taco Bell had a IPO and went public with 325 restaurants.
- In 1978, PepsiCo aquired Taco Bell from Glenn Bell.
- In 1991, first Taco Bell Express store was opened.
- In 1997, PepsiCo spun off its restaurant business into a separate company called Tricon Global Restaurants.
- In 2002, after acquiring several other notable chains, the company changed its name to Yum Brands.
- In 2014, Taco Bell opened its first U.S. Taco Co. store only to close it down a year later to focus on a similar concept.
- In 2015, first Taco Bell Cantina store was opened in Wicker Park, Chicago.
- In 2019, Taco Bell opened a pop-up hotel called “The Bell: A Taco Bell Hotel and Resort”.
Taco Bell FAQs
Which is the cheapest item at Taco Bell?
Spicy Potato Soft Taco, costs just $1.00 is the cheapest item at Taco Bell.
Which the most expensive Taco at Taco Bell?
Nachos Cheese Doritos Locos Tacos Supreme is the most expensive Taco you can get at Taco Bell. The taco costs $2.99.
Which is the cheapest Burrito at Taco Bell?
Cheesy Bean and Rice Burrito is the cheapest burrito you can buy at Taco Bell. The burrito costs just $1.00.