On Wednesday, the Secret Service published a 60-page report detailing trends in mass attacks happening throughout the nation. The purpose of the report is to help community leaders prevent future attacks.
The report has some very important findings, some of which are mentioned below:
- Personal grievance was the most common motive for mass attacks.
- Roughly one-quarter of mass attackers are driven by conspiracy theories or hateful ideologies.
- At least six attackers were radicalised via online interactions.
- One-third of all attackers had evidence that they planned their attacks.
- Three-quarters of all mass attacks involved firearms, and over 80% of attacks resulted in at least one death.
The report takes 173 mass attacks that happened between 2016 and 2020 into account.