Categories
News

How hero parrot saved little girl who was choking on her breakfast

The Red Cross has recognised a parrot for saving a toddler’s life. Willie’s cries of distress alerted his owner to the fact that the toddler she was babysitting was choking on her food.

Megan Howard had left the room when the Quaker parrot recognised something was wrong with Hannah and began screeching “Mama, baby” and flapping his wings to raise the alarm.

Megan ran back to the little child who was becoming blue and did the Heimlich manoeuvre on her.

This first-aid method is delivering a sudden forceful pressure to the abdomen to dislodge an obstruction from a person’s windpipe.

Megan, speaking at the Red Cross chapter’s Animal Lifesaver Award ceremony in Denver, Colorado, said Willie “is the actual hero.”

‘The part where she went blue is always when my heart drops, no matter how many times I’ve heard it,’ Hannah’s mother, Samantha Kuusk, said.

‘My heart sinks into my gut, and I start crying.’

Willie was honoured at a Breakfast Of Champions ceremony on Friday, which was attended by Governor Bill Ritter and Mayor John Hickenlooper.