How To

How do I notify the IRS my address has changed?

There are several ways to tell IRS your address has changed:

Table of Contents

Oral notification

Tell IRS in person or by telephone. They’ll need you to verify your identity and the address we have on file for you. Please have ready your:

  • full name
  • new address
  • old address
  • date of birth
  • Social Security number, ITIN or EIN

IRS may request additional information to verify your identity.

IRS form

Use Form 8822, Change of Address or Form 8822-B, Change of Address or Responsible Party – Business

Tax return

Use your new address when you file

Written statement

Send IRS a signed written statement with your:

  • full name
  • old address
  • new address
  • Social Security number, ITIN, or EIN

Mail your signed statement to the address where you filed your last return.

If you filed a joint return and are still living with the same spouse, both you and your spouse should fill out the form or statement with your names, social security numbers, new addresses, and signatures.

If you filed a joint return and your residences have changed, each of you must tell IRS of your new addresses.

Authorized representatives must include a copy of their power of attorney or Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative, when filing a form or written declaration to alter a taxpayer’s address. A taxpayer’s address cannot be changed by unauthorised third parties.